Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Cognitive overload

Just a quick note about this blog post by an old friend of mine from Wesleyan, David Jay.  This fits so nicely with my experience of going into a career in statistics and computer science from the launching pad of biology.  At first, the concepts are just too much and my brain wants to shut down.  For me, so much of grad school thus far is repeating exercises over and over until my brain can start to handle these concepts more automatically.  It's similar to learning the muscle memory for a kayak roll or when playing a piece on the piano; it's rote repetition at first.  Finesse and creativity come later.
  A note on the picture: I tried to find a photo of David on rollerblades, which were his predominant mode of transportation in college.  No luck; this picture will have to suffice.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment! I'd love to tell you about the current project I'm working on, Journallab.org...

    ReplyDelete